tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 29 12:19:20 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation

---Kreth  wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Robyn Stewart wrote:
>
> > Because Kreth had used /qa-/ consistently, even when the object
> > *wasn't* 'you singular', I supposed it was possible that he wanted
> > say we-you but was following examples and couldn't find one that
> > matched. I have no problem with the I-you/our, I just know how
> > frequently I have settled for saying something that wasn't exactly
> > what I wanted while speaking an unfamilar language.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
> >
> A related question: would it perhaps be better for my learning
process to
> always include the subject, even when using /qa-/? Or is that
> considered redundant?

Pronouns are used:
- for added emphasis
- to prevent ambiguity
- in the 'pronoun as to be' structure

While you should always consider what the subject and object of each
clause are, and where they would be placed in the sentence, routinely
using the pronouns would in many cases be redundant.  I do not
recommend you use pronouns all the time.

Some prefix (and a suffix or two) practice for you, Kreth, if you want
it:

I dislike you and your friend.
The rebels saw us.
They will follow you (plural).