tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 29 07:42:36 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation

: >>                        The first officer makes some final corrections
: >> to her report on a pad, hands it to her ra'wI' and says: "Our lives to
: >> you, joHwI'"  To which the ra'wI' replies: "I accept your pledge" as he
: >> takes the pad.
: >>
: >> wa'DIch: qanob yInmeymaj, joHwI'
: >> lit. I give you our lives, joHwI'
: >
: > Remember that word order in Klingon is Object, Verb, Subject (OVS).
: > /yInmeymaj qanob, joHwI'/ translates what you asked for.  Should it
: > really be "*I* give you our lives," or "*we* give you..."? The latter is
: > /yInmeymaj pInob/.
:
: I had thought *I* since the wa'DIch is making the pledge of behalf of the
crew...
:
: Kreth

... and she hands her PADD (which presumably contains the current crew
roster, their oaths of service, crew performance evaluations, the ship's
Record of Battle, etc.) to the captain, who takes it from her.  The use of
the first person is entirely appropriate and nicely matches the action of
the ritual.

Voragh

Back to archive top level