tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 16:19:55 1998

Re: KLBC - Qu'vatlh! qep'a'Daq jIjaH vIneH!

KLBC - Qu'vatlh!  qep'a'Daq jIjaH vIneH!

ja' Qov:

> tlhoS 'ach qagh DaHevbe'.

"Almost, but you don't receive qagh"  Almost, but no cigar?!jIHagh,
"mua-ha-ha-ha"

> *after* the *singular* noun it's asking for the count of.  Have
> another look at the section on question in chapter 5.  So maybe:

/'ar/DarSeq 'ar Daghaj?  "How many darseks do you have?"
qevaS 'ar DachIl?  "How many kevas did you lose?"
mu'tlhegh 'ar vIqonnIS?  "How many sentences do I need to write?"

> > jIHegh 'e' vItaH.
>
> /taH/ doesn't take an object.  If you want to say "I go on dying"
> simply say /jIHeghtaH/ or /jIHeghlI'/. (At this point I suspect you
> mean /Hagh/ not /Hegh/ but that's between you and your dictionary).

Yes, I meant /Hagh/ "laugh" not /Hegh/ "die."  This brings up a good
question.  Why can't /taH/ take an object?  /jIHagh 'e' vItaH/ "I laugh, I
continue it."  I agree that /jIHaghtaH/ is better, but is the other
wrong?  How do we know for sure which verbs don't take objects, or must
take an object?  Didn't I see someone say something like /qajatlh/
recently?  "I speak you," doesn't make sense, so is this a verb that
shouldn't take an object?  jIyajbe'ba'.

mIychuqtaH tera'ngan romuluSngan verengan je:  jatlh tera'ngan, "tugh veH
tIn 'ellaH DIvI' qarmo' De'wI'mey."  jatlh romuluSngan, "tugh veH tIn
'elbej wo'maj HoSmo' Dujmeymaj."  jatlh verengan, "tugh verengan HovDaq
maSaq."  yay'ba' romuluSngan tera'ngan je 'ach taH verengan, "machavlaHbe'
'e' boHar 'ach qaStaHvIS ram HovDaq maSaq!"

A Terran, a Romulan, and a Ferengi were bragging to each other:  The
Terran says, "Soon the Federation will be able to enter the Great Barrier
because our computers are accurate."  The Romulan says, "Soon our Empire
will clearly enter the Great Barrier because our ships are strong."  The
Ferengi says, "Soon we will land on the Ferengi Sun."  The Romulan, and
the Terran are dumbfounded, but the Ferengi continues, "You believe we
cannot achieve it, but we will land on the star at night!"

- tuv'el, pach puqloD

Back to archive top level