tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 24 16:19:56 1998

Re: List for beginners???

David Baxter wrote:

> Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but when I first subscribed to
> this list, it was a list for beginners. Now I am finding that the majority
> of messages are written by people who appear to be quite fluent in Klingon.
> For people like me, who are looking to learn a new language, this is too
> confusing. It is like putting a Japanese person in the heart of Paris and
> telling him to get on with his life.
>
> I have seriously considered unsubscribing from this list, and I know other
> people have unsubbed, also because of the complexity of the language now it
> too great.
>
> Please bring the list back to what it used to be... a help place for
> beginners, and a place where beginners can share new ideas and learn the
> Klingon language.
>
> Qapla'
>
> David Baxter
> [email protected]

Well, there aren't a lot of people paying attention just now, because of the
qep'a' conference.  I am a beginner, and at first I was overwhelmed with the
amount of mail and the difficulty of translating everything.  Now I just watch
for the KLBC posts, where the Beginner's Grammarian has things to say about
syntax, spelling, choice of words, etc.  I also translate the subject for all
messages, and just look at the ones that seem interesting.  Although very
intimidating at first, I have found the high-powered Klingon posts by experts
to be very helpful in learning the language.  IMHO, anyway.

- Burt Clawson (aka tuv'el, pach puqloD)

Back to archive top level