tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 22 11:15:26 1998

Re: RE: Coffee is ready

ghItlh charghwI' SuStel je:

>>>tlhutlhbeHlu'.
>
>Am I the only one who thinks this is quite definitely wrong? The subject is
>unspecified. This does not suddenly make {-beH} refer to the object. It
>just means that unspecified things are set up to do something. In this
>case, the unspecified things are set up to drink something (also
>unspecified). This is not the correct meaning.

maQochbe', SuStel. The subject is "someone/something" when <-lu'> is used.
<tlhutlhlu'> might translate "It is being drunk" or "It is drunk (not
intoxicated)", but the true translation is "Someone/something drinks (it)".
Adding <-beH> simply makes it clear that <-lu'> means "something", not
"someone", and that that something is set up to imbibe. Odd in the least.

qa'vIn vIvutta'. Datlhutlh DaneHchugh, yIruch.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level