tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 22 05:30:04 1998

Re: RE: Coffee is ready

From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>

>ja' charghwI':
>>This is merely a suggestion for another way to say, "It is
>>ready," referring to coffee:
>>
>>tlhutlhbeHlu'.
>>
>>If this prompts discussion, fine.
>
>I understand exactly what you're doing here, and I won't argue against it.
>But I sure won't use this construction myself anytime soon.  It's just as
>ambiguously reasonable as {jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH}, but the {-lu'} makes it
>fuzzy enough in my brain that I will avoid it.

Am I the only one who thinks this is quite definitely wrong?  The subject is
unspecified.  This does not suddenly make {-beH} refer to the object.  It
just means that unspecified things are set up to do something.  In this
case, the unspecified things are set up to drink something (also
unspecified).  This is not the correct meaning.

SuStel
Stardate 98554.6

Back to archive top level