tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 21 11:32:34 1998

Re: Subject: Re: KLBCbej: jIyInta

: ---Qor'etlh <[email protected]> wrote:
: > rIntaH: Over! A term used in radio communications to indicate that; "I
: > am done transmitting, now it is your turn to _continue_ the
: > conversation" so that the reciever of this will then know when to
: > begin speaking. In radio, to avoid traffic collisions, one must
: > recieve a verbal clue as to when one is able to speak, given by the
: > previous speaker in a multiparty conversation.
:
: qaStaHvIS cha' DIS *coastguard*vaD jItoy'mo', "over" vIghovbej.  'ach
: <rIntaH> jatlh valQIS neH.  jatlhbe' Qugh.  wa'logh jatlh valQIS.  vaj
: "over" 'oSbe'law' rIntaH.  Daj qech, 'ach vIHarbe'.
:
: "over" lulo'be' Russianganpu' neH 'e' vISovbe'.  Daj je.  <rIntaH>
: jatlhta'DI' valQIS jang'a' Qugh?  chaq "out" 'oS.
:
: Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

{rIn} "over" is used in ST6 in the scene where the Enterprise slips across
the border at the Morska Outpost.  The following exchange was voice only as
(according to the novelization) the remote outpost was equipped only with
aging, obsolete sensors.  Note that Sentinal Kesla pronounces it as /reen/,
typical of what Okrand later called "Morskan dialect" and that lines from
the novel are in {} curly brackets:

Kesla: 	<morska jIH>  					("dialect" ??)
	 "This is listening post Morska."
         <morskee geh> 			 	  ("dialect" as heard)
Kesla: 	Dujvetlh 'oH nuq?  rIn.
	 "What ship is that? ...over."
	 <dujvetz oh nook? reen.>		  ("dialect" as heard)
	 [Dujvetlh 'oH nug? rIn.]                           (captions)
	 {"What ship is that? Identify yourselves."}
Uhura:  tongDuj 'urISva maH... jav Hogh maH Qo'noSvo'. rIn.     [sic!]
	 "We am thy freighter...Ursva... Six weeks out of...Kronos.
          [Over.]"
	 {According to the novel, she was speaking in an "odd, archaic
          dialect."}
Kesla: 	nuqDaq ghoS?  rIn.
	 "What is your destination? Over."
	 <nookdak gros? reen.>		  	  ("dialect" as heard)
	 [nugDaq ghoS? rIn.]                                (captions)
	 {"Whither are you bound?" (responding in the same dialect)}
Uhura:  rura' penteDaq Soj Doch <yuS> vIqIch. rIn               [sic!]
	 "Rura Penthe. We is condemning food...things and supplies.
	  Over."
	 {We is condemning food...things and...supplies to Rura Penthe.
	  Over.}
	 [rura penteDag...]                                 (captions)
	 (She meant {vIHIj} "I'm delivering.")
Kesla: 	ghewmey SuqQo'  			           ("dialect")
	 "Don't catch any bugs!"
	 {i.e. "Good luck in avoiding border officials!"   (smuggler's
	  code according to the novel)}

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

Back to archive top level