tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 17 07:53:52 1998

Re: KLBCbej: jIyIntaH

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>     "The meaning of {-ta'} can also be indicated syntactically. That is,
>     instead of using the suffix {-ta'}, a special verbal construction can
>     follow the verb which indicates the accomplished action. This special
>     verb is {rIn} 'be finished, accomplished', and in this usage it
>     always takes the suffix {-taH} 'continuous' ... and the third-person
>     pronominal prefix (0).
>
>Since {rIntaH} "It is accomplished! It is done!" is a replacement for
{-ta'}
>on the main verb, in effect it acts as another Type 7 suffix and I suspect
>cannot be used together with {-taH} or any other Type 7.

I've sometimes wondered if {rIntaH} might be comparable to the structure of
{targhlIj yIngagh, yIruch} or {QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH}.

Qa'vam De' vIje', rIntaH.
I purchased the Genesis data, it's finished.

"Special verbal construction" is vague enough, and the grammar of these
"add-on" sentences is pretty loose, so that one might think of {rIntaH} as
just another add-on which has become relatively common.

SuStel
Stardate 98540.6

Back to archive top level