tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 11:53:32 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

---"William H. Martin"  wrote:

> *(tlhInga jIH'e') definitely feels WRONG to me. I'm completely
> with ghunchu'wI' on this one. Pronouns can be used as nouns or
> verbs, but not both at the same time, and when they have one
> use, you can't use the other suffix. In {tlhIngan jIH} the {jIH}
> is definitely being used as a verb. You could say {tlhIngan
> jIHbej}, but you can't say *{tlhIngan jIHna'}. You can say
> {tlhIngan jIHlaw'} but you can't say *{tlhIngan jIHHey}. See?
> NOW what does your gut tell you?

Well yeah, those N3s are awful, but you never use N3 on a pronoun.
/jIlujpu' jIHna'/ sounds just as bad.
You do occasionally use /-'e'/ on pronouns.

In my mind /jIH/ acts as pronoun and verb in PTB, and I think it's
still allowed to do what a pronoun is allowed to do.  You don't. We
dunno.  See you on Wednesday.

> At least, I hope these "equivalent meaning" noun and verb suffix
> sets help to clarify this matter.
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian