tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 11:34:21 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:10:20 -0700 (PDT) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : ---Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> : > ja' Qov:
> : > >tlhIngan jIH - I am a Klingon (no added emphasis)
> : > >tlhIngan jIH'e' - *I* am a Klingon.
> : >
> : > Um, can we do this?  TKD 6.3, page 67, uses {tlhIngan jIH} as an
> : > example, but the paragraph immediately before the example says:
> : >     Noun suffixes are not appropriate...
> :
> : tlhIngan jIH'e' is what comes out of my mouth when I think that, and
> : I'd be surprised to learn it's wrong,...
> :
> : Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
>
> I could find only two cases of {-'e'} on a pronoun, neither of which are
> used as verbs:
>
>    lujpu' jIH'e'
>    I, and only I, have failed. TKD
>
>    'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
>    But Captain, that course will take *us* into the Barrier as well. ST5
>
> Although *{tlhIngan jIH'e'} certainly feels right to me, we can't prove it.
> We'll have to add this to the "Questions for Maltz" list.

*(tlhInga jIH'e') definitely feels WRONG to me. I'm completely
with ghunchu'wI' on this one. Pronouns can be used as nouns or
verbs, but not both at the same time, and when they have one
use, you can't use the other suffix. In {tlhIngan jIH} the {jIH}
is definitely being used as a verb. You could say {tlhIngan
jIHbej}, but you can't say *{tlhIngan jIHna'}. You can say
{tlhIngan jIHlaw'} but you can't say *{tlhIngan jIHHey}. See?
NOW what does your gut tell you?

At least, I hope these "equivalent meaning" noun and verb suffix
sets help to clarify this matter.

> Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

charghwI'

Back to archive top level