tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 10:21:09 1998

Re: KLBC - puqbe'oywI'

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> KLBC 0 puqbe'oywI'

> 'IHchu'qa' puqbe'wI'.

/-qu'/ not /-qa'/.  It's great that you are memorizing the suffixes,
but keep double checking them until you are sure, else you can
reinforce them incorrectly in your mind.

> bID ben poghpu'.
> "My daughter is absolutely beautiful.  She was born (c'mon gimmie a
break,
> she was done being born at the time, perfective, right?) half a year
ago.

We're not one hundred percent certain how to use /bID/, like a
counting number or maybe only as a thing.  I certainly understand
this, I thnk a Klingon would, but it could be wrong.

spelling: /bogh/.  You happen to have lucked out here with the
perfective: Klingons state when they were being born by saying when
they had been born.  So if your ten years old you say wa'maH ben
jIboghpu', because your tenth birthday has occurred, so ten years ago
you had already been born.  It's the completion of the birth process
that's the point, one presumes.

> nenchoHmoHlI'meH ghaH jIboH.
>  I am impatient for her to start growing up

An awkward collection of suffixes here.
"For the purpose of ghaH making him/her/it become  adult I am
impatient."

It seems both /-moH/ and /-meH/ have brought the wrong meaning.  The
purpose of your impatience is not her maturing.

/nenchoHlI'/ expresses well undergoing the process of becoming adult,
i.e. growing up. but why /-moH/?

Try writing this as, "I am impatient because she grows up slowly."  or
"I am impatient while I wait for her to grow up."

> jIHemqu' ben yab ghaHDI'
>
>  I will be so proud when she is
> old enough and can receive her jInaq."

Hmm, this is hard to parse.

jIHemqu' - I will be so proud
ben yab ghaHDI' - when she is a years ago mind

Better tell me where you were going with this one.  I see a possible
typo for /yap/ and what looks like an attempt to extract the concept
of 'be old' out of 'years old', and what looks like the Klingon
re-creation of an English idiom "be years old."   But you wouldn't do
these things, would you?

> 'ej jInaqDaj HevlaH.
maj.

> > Qaghmeymo' neH taghwI' vIbIjbe'.
> "I don't punish initiates due to mistakes alone.
maj.  I was thinking in singular, but plural is a correct
interpretation.. "I don't punish _an_ initiate."

> > Qagh nIb ta'taHchugh yajlaHlaw'bogh
> > taghwI', vIbuQ
> If they keep making the
> same mistakes that initiates seem able to
> understand, I threaten them,

Careful.  The head of a relative clause would not be located in
another clause at the other end of the sentence.  Once you have
extracted /Qagh nIb ta'taHchugh/ "if s/he ." you can't use those words
again.  It's like Boggle.
So what is the object of /yaj/?  There isn't one.
/yajlaHbogh taghwI'/ "a beginner who appears capable of
understanding."  This relative clause, not "they" is the subject of
/ta'/.  So the sentence reads,

"If a beginner who appears capable of understanding
keeps making the same error, I threaten him/her."  If you read Qagh as
plural, you could interpret the sentence as plural or singular taghwI'.

'ej Qaghvetlh vIleghqa'DI' chaq 'oy'naQ vIlo'.
> and
> as soon as I see that mistake again, I might use the > painstick.

Yes, but as you were translating with the plural up to here, it
doesn't make sense to switch to singular here. Make your translations
consistent.

> > not
> > Sovbe'wI' yajbe'wI' joq vImup.  buDwI', yepHa'wI'
> > qoj vIHup.
> I never
> strike one who doesn't know or understand.

Neat how that's so easy to say in Klingon and a little lumpy in
English, eh?  The idea in Sovbe'wI' fits neatly in my mind as a single
word, but it has to be turned into a longer phrase in English.

>I  punish lazy ones and careless
> ones."
>
> Should /qoj/ in the last sentence be /joq/?

Yes, it should have been.  HIvqa' veqlargh.

> > > /pIl/  "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated"
> >
> > qatlho'.  jIHvaD mu' chu' DaQIjta'.
> >

> /qatlho'/?  Did you mean /qatlha'/ "I follow you?""You have
explained a new
> word for me."

qatlho' - I thank you.  I appreciate you.
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian