tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 23:41:35 1998

-pu'

  Please what <is> the correct use of the verb suffix {X-pu'}? TKD says only
that it means that the action X is complete. But the pabpo' told me off for
using -pu' repeatedly for continuous narration of past events (when I was
describing a scuba diving holiday in the Red Sea), although all the events
that I referred to were completed.
  Is it correct to use X-pu' wherever an English speaker would use the perfect
tense (or its combined forms such as pluperfect and future-perfect)?
  My current instincts when narrating past events are to use one -pu' and then
plain verbs, and to use another -pu' only where I jump back in time. Is that
correct usage?

Back to archive top level