tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 23:22:36 1998

Re: QoghIj qaD

ja' Qov:
>I don't think it's ungramatical, but that's because I see it as {maba'
>DaneH} with a {nuqDaq} in its proper position to make the statement
>into a question.

Are you grouping it as {nuqDaq (maba' DaneH)) or ((nuqDaq maba') DaneH)?
I don't think the first one makes a lot of sense, and the second one
is pretty clearly a Sentence-As-Object pattern where the object is a
question.

>Coming in to the middle of this, I was baffled as to the intended
>meaning.  {nuq vIje' vIneH?}  */I want what do I feed?/  */I want what
>will I buy?/ In comparison to ?/nuqDaq maba' DaneH/ it looks like
>"what do I want to feed/buy" but that doesn't make much sense either.

"I want to buy what?"

>I guess the question is, can we group (nuq (vIje' vIneH)) instead of
>((nuq vIje') vIneH)?  I don't think so.

I'm treating it as the latter.  Yes, it's a question-as-object, but
it's one that follows the rules for the use of interrogatives.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level