tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 13:41:41 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlugh 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> ja' Qov:

> > A bom you /qon/.  Or are you really deriding your songwriting?
> >
> No, I meant /gher/.  A very bad translation of a song of non-Klingon
origin.

Sounds like you want /mugh/ then.  Or /ghItlh/ if you were just
copying down the words you heard.  I used to complain that grammarians
didn't draw a line between criticising language and criticising style.
 Now I know there is no line.  Know what the words mean and use them
as the muse dictates.

> > > bong romuluSngan 'ajvaD qagh Qop vIjabpu' 'ach tu'pu' ghaH'e'.
> >
> > You want to say "I accidentally served dead qagh to the Romulan
> > admiral, but s/he noticed"?  Or "I had served ... but he had
noticed."
> >  Relative to what?  Don't try to use perfective suffixes to indicate
> > past tense. It doesn't work.  Also the topicalizer on /ghaH/ is a
> > little excessive.  /tu'/ - s/he/it noticed.  /tu' ghaH/ - s/he
> > noticed.  /tu' ghaH'e'/  *s/he* noticed.  As opposed to whom?
> >
> > {bong romuluSngan 'ajvaD qagh Qop vIjab 'ach tu' ghaH.} adequately
> > translates "I accidentally served dead qagh to the Romulan admiral,
> > but s/he noticed"?
> >

> Arghhh!  I meant [tu'be'] instead of [tu'pu']:bong romuluSngan
'ajvaD qagh
> Qop vIjabpu' 'ach tu'be' ghaH'e'.  "I accidentally served dead qagh
to the
> Romulan admiral, but he DIDN'T notice."

That's "I had accidentally served ..."  Leave off the {-pu'} for "I
served ..."  And again, why {ghaH'e'}?  Was there someone else you
would have expected to do the noticing, that you have to stress SHE so
hard?

> > > ghe'naQ nIt botIvlaHpa' no' Hol bogh ojnIS 'ej bom mu' boHaDchu'.
> >
> > Is there a noun /bogh/?  I'm not following.  "Before you can enjoy
> > Klingon classical opera, ancestors ... language ... born ... needs
> > be something (first letter missing) ... and you will thoroughly
study
> > the lyrics."  I suspected you were translating out of KGT, but I
> > couldn't find it.
> >

> Another typo:  bo-ghoj-nIS  "you need to learn"
> ghe'naQ nIt botIvlaHpa' no' Hol boghojnIS 'ej bom mu' boHaDchu'.

Laugh.  All for one space.  I should have seen that. Note that if you
mean "You need to learn the language and study the lyrics" you have to
say /boghojnIS 'ej ... boHaDnISchu'/  The /-nIS/ must be repeated.
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian