tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 13 13:04:51 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlugh 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

ja' Qov:

> > Hoj vavwI' loDnI' puqloD; tera'ngan rur.  chaq muvrup vIponlaHDI'.
>
> Your cousin is as cautious as a terran. Perhaps he will be ready to
> join as oon as you can persuade him?

Exactly what I meant.

> A bom you /qon/.  Or are you really deriding your songwriting?

No, I meant /gher/.  A very bad translation of a song of non-Klingon origin.

> > bong romuluSngan 'ajvaD qagh Qop vIjabpu' 'ach tu'pu' ghaH'e'.
>
> You want to say "I accidentally served dead qagh to the Romulan
> admiral, but s/he noticed"?  Or "I had served ... but he had noticed."
>  Relative to what?  Don't try to use perfective suffixes to indicate
> past tense. It doesn't work.  Also the topicalizer on /ghaH/ is a
> little excessive.  /tu'/ - s/he/it noticed.  /tu' ghaH/ - s/he
> noticed.  /tu' ghaH'e'/  *s/he* noticed.  As opposed to whom?
>
> {bong romuluSngan 'ajvaD qagh Qop vIjab 'ach tu' ghaH.} adequately
> translates "I accidentally served dead qagh to the Romulan admiral,
> but s/he noticed"?

Arghhh!  I meant [tu'be'] instead of [tu'pu']:bong romuluSngan 'ajvaD qagh
Qop vIjabpu' 'ach tu'be' ghaH'e'.  "I accidentally served dead qagh to the
Romulan admiral, but he DIDN'T notice."

> > ghe'naQ nIt botIvlaHpa' no' Hol bogh ojnIS 'ej bom mu' boHaDchu'.
>
> Is there a noun /bogh/?  I'm not following.  "Before you can enjoy
> Klingon classical opera, ancestors ... language ... born ... needs to
> be something (first letter missing) ... and you will thoroughly study
> the lyrics."  I suspected you were translating out of KGT, but I
> couldn't find it.

Another typo:  bo-ghoj-nIS  "you need to learn"
ghe'naQ nIt botIvlaHpa' no' Hol boghojnIS 'ej bom mu' boHaDchu'.

> Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

- tuv'el, pach puqloD

Back to archive top level