tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 12 16:29:51 1998

RE: KLBC: adverbial practice

Qov is back, but I started this, and she has not gotten to it yet, so I am
answering.

lab muHwI':

> jen
jen nuq? I don't know what you mean here.

>loD vIHoHpu'. vIHoHpu' 'e' vIneHbe'
>=> bong loD vIHoH
>(accidentally, I killed the man)
<neH> is special - it does not need <'e'> or <net> when used in a SAO
construction. You could also consider <Hech> here. Also, I don't know why
you used the <-pu'> in the line but not the second.

>DaHjaj jImejbe'. 'ach javleS jImej.
>=> tugh jImejnIS
>(I need to leave soon)
maj.

>bIlay'Ha'be'. bISuvchu'
>=> batlh bIHegh
>(you die with honour)
maj.

>jIHegh pagh jIHeghbe'. jISovbe'
>=> wa'leS chaq jIHegh
>(perhabs I die tomorrow)
maj.

>paqvam DalaDta''a'? ghobe'
>=> wej paqvam vIlaD
>(I haven't read the book yet)
maj.

>loD vIHoHta'. vIHoH 'e' vIneHqu'
>=> chIch vIHoH
>(I killed him on purpose)
Again, sentences with <neH> don't use <'e'>, and <Hech> might be better.

>wa'leS SIS 'e' vISovbe'. 'ach SIS vIHar
>=> wa'leS ghaytan SIS
>(tomorrow it is likely going to rain)
You need the <'e'> in the second sentence: <'ach SIS 'e' vIHar>. Also,
<wa'leS SIS 'e' vISovchu'be'> might express your meaning a bit better.

>yIloSQo'. yIDIl
>=> DaH yIDIl
>(pay now)
maj.

>HoH Hoch. jIHoH jIH je
>=> 'ach jaS jIHoH
>(I kill differently)
maj.

>peDmo' jIQuch.
>=> Do' peDtaH
>(luckily it is snowing)
Is <peD> a verb? I don't take my TKD home on the weekends, but I remember it
as only a noun. I will follow up tomorrow.

>SuvnIS DevwI'. 'ach QaH pagh
>=> nIteb SuvnIS DevwI'
>(a leader needs to fight alone)
For the second sentence, you might do better with <'ach QaHlaH pagh>.

>Hoch vISov vIneHbe'. wa'logh neH bIjangnIS.
>=> loQ qayu' vIneH
>(I want to ask you a little)
This one is OK but a little awkward. It's probably just my English speaking
mind getting in the way.

>mu'qaDmey tIbachqu'
>=> pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
>(shoot curses forcefully)
maj.

>tIqIptaHvIS yIleSQo'
>=> nom tIqIp
>(hit them fast)
maj.

>yIHoH jay'. yIloSQo'. DaH yIHoH
>=> SIbI' yIHoH
>(kill him immediately)
maj.

>jIlay'Ha'be'. yIlay'Ha'Qo'. jIlay'Ha' 'e' vIneHbe'
>=> not jIlay'Ha'
>(I never break my word)
The sentence with <neH> does not use the <'e'>, but otherwise good.

>nughoStaH Duj 'e' vIleghbe'. leghpu' pagh
>=> pay' Duj vIlegh
>(suddenly I saw he ship)
maj.

>wa'Hu' jIghung. DaHjaj jIghung. wa'leS jIghung
>=> reH jIghung
>(I'm always hungry)
vaj DaH yISop ;-) maj.

>tlhIngan Hol vIHaD. reH vIHaDbe'.
>=> pIj tlhIngan Hol vIHaD
>(I study Klingon often)
<reH vIHaDbe'> means you are always not studying it, which is not what you
want. I suggest a good Klingon idiom for this one: <vIHaDmeH Hoch 'ebmey
vIjon>.

pagh
Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level