tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 12 11:31:25 1998

RE: how do you learn voc?

---Nathan Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

> >ghItlh Holtej:

> >The reason is: Next month, august, I will be in Belgium, at my
> >grandparents'. There is no Computer, no Internet, no email
possibility
> -
> >just me and TKD. Since I've got nothing else to do (beside of my
> holiday
> >job) I wanted to learn at least like ten or twenty or whatever
Klingon
> >words a day, but I was wondering how I should do that. I cannot
speak
> in
> >Klingon to anyone over there, and I cannot write to the list. No one
> can
> >control my grammar, so I wanted to put more importance on vocab.
> >
> >>flashcards!).  I also have the word list in my PDA, which I almost
> always
> >>have with me, which I can practice with if I find myself waiting
> somewhere
> >>for something.
> >PDA? De'wI' machqu' 'oH'a'? Hoqra' rur'a'?
>
> Flashcards have never worked for me.  My advice is find or bring
along
> something in English to translate into Klingon and then translate it
> into Klingon.  If you run across words in your English work that
have no
> counterparts in TKD, find another way to say the same thing with the
> words that ARE found in TKD.

I consider translation a very poor way of learning either vocabulary
or grammar.  It encourages grammar that copies the source language and
leads to misuse of vocabulary.  You have to hold the vocabulary in
your head before you can translate usefully.

Instead *summarize* a Star Trek episode, or some other event that is
appropriate to the Klingon lexicon.