tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 12 11:01:55 1998

Re: SuvwI'bom

---Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> ><veQDuj 'oH DujlIj'e'> = Your ship is a garbage scow. Some say "As
for your
> >ship, it's a garbage scow."
> ><DujlIj 'oH veQDuj'e'> = The garbage scow is your ship. "As for the
garbage
> >scow, it's your ship."
>
> This was one of my earliest examples of how I perceive a
distinction.  The
> first is a powerful insult; the second is merely disappointing news
for a
> newly promoted captain.

I agree completely with the above, but would always use {Qov 'oH
pongwIj'e'} to answer a request for my name.

I'd use {pongwIj 'oH Qov'e'} in a situation where I need to clarify
for someone confused by the word {Qov}, thinking it to be unknown
vocabulary.

I see how I see it, now, too.  The way I use it, the subject of to be,
or PTB tends to be the information the questioner already had.

You've asked about my name, so I give you {Qov 'oH [pongwIj'e']}.

You've asked about "Qov," so I give you {pongwIj 'oH [Qov'e']}.

But I suppose the Klingon Hercule Poirot culd still say {chotwI' ghaH
... jabwI''e'!} for the proper sense of suspense.