tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 16:35:15 1998

RE: KLBC - DaH mughqa' tuv'el 'e' nIDlaw'

mujang tuv'el:

> > > qabHeylI' rur Sargh Dub.
> > I'm not quite sure why you're using <-Hey> here, and the
> > <-lI'> should be <-lIj>.
>
> I was thinking something like:  "I guess it's your face, it
> doesn't look like much of a face, but it's in the right
> position for a face" i.e. "apparent face."
jIyaj 'ej lo'lIj vIlaj. I suspected something like that, and it works pretty
well.

> I keep forgetting that -lI' -lIj, -wI' -wIj refer to
> the sentience of the object in question, I'll say to
> myself, "Well <<I>> am a noun capable of language so
> it must be DubwI' instead of DubwIj..."  Oops...
I used to make that mistake as well, back when ghunchu'wI' was BG.

> > > tlhIngan Hol ghojnIS vavwI' loDnI' puqloD.
> > You want your cousin to learn Klingon? ghojqang'a'?
> >

> HISlaH, 'ach lIqIHvIplaw'.
wIghIjchu''a'? qatlh?

> > > Qongchu' 'avwI' pagh Heghta'
> > I doubt he intentionally died, so you need to use <-pu'>
> > instead of <-ta'>.
>
> I thought -ta' merely denoted absolute finality, not
> intention.  QItqu' Hoch vIghojtaH.

For absolute finality, we have <rIntaH>, which goes after the verb that
would normally get <-ta'>. TKD implies that <rIntaH> also carries the
additional intent meaning of <-ta'>, so you really are probably best off
with just <-pu'>. Reread TKD section 4.2.7 on aspect suffixes for more
information (rIntaH is also described here).

Also, you are using <-qu'> on an adverbial, something which I have gotten
yelled at myself for doing. It is certainly understandable, and may even be
legal, but it is not within the rules as we currently know them.

pagh
Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level