tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 07:18:58 1998

Re: KLBC: Dap 'ach pab

ghItlh pagh:

>mjuang muHwI':

>> >romuluS ghoqwI' DaDa. chaq qaHoHnIS.

>> monwI'wIj Daleghbe'law'
>vIlegh, 'ach vIbuSHa'. rut tlhIngan vIDa 'ej jIvaQ.
>
>> {ghotpu'} of course.
>> Does {Sov} also have the double meaning of "know"?
>> In German, and in French, there are two words for "know":
>> "wissen" & "kennen"; "savoir" & "connaitre"
>The truth is we don't know. Most people here use it both ways, but it may
>well be incorrect.

Actually, I believe we do.  We know {Sov} can have the meaning of "kennen"
(to know a person, as opposed to to know a fact) from Conversational
Klingon:

Qo'noSDaq vay' DaSov'a'?
Do you know anyone on Kronos?

and

ghobe'.  Qo'noSDaq vay' vISovbe'.
No, I don't know anyone on Kronos.

I study German and am aware of the two different meanings of "know" in
English, so I recognized this example.

And I'm pretty sure {Sov} also has the meaning of "wissen" (to know a
fact) -- there have to be a number of examples.  Here's a sample:

qama'pu' DIHoH 'e' luSov.
They know we kill prisoners.

TKD, page 66.  Also, the {Sov} in the infamous {naDev jIHtaHbogh vISovbe'}
seems to be the "kennen" form.

Back to archive top level