tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 12:04:00 1998

Re: -Curses

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>Make up your mind, SuStel.  You can't have it both ways.  Either you only
>accept lines written in tlhIngan Hol by Okrand himself, rejecting lines
>written by the Paramount writing staff -- in which case you have to reject
>Chang's line regarding "hundred hours" as evidence -- or you accept lines
>written by others as providing clues to Klingon usage.  Note that I said
>*clues*, not rules or examples of good style.

You'll note that I specified *television* Star Trek.  I was not referring to
the movies.  Generally, some thought went into the movies, and I am far more
willing to look at them for hints as to language usage than I am the TV
series.  And I wasn't talking about showing that Chang's usage was
definitive of the way Klingons do or say things.  I was simply showing one
of the few times I've ever heard someone say a 24-hour time out loud, and it
happened to be an actor portraying a Klingon, and he said "hundred thirty."

*shrug*  If it's done the other way in real life military organizations, who
am I to disagree?

SuStel
Stardate 98511.0

Back to archive top level