tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 07:32:18 1998

Re: how do you learn voc?

ghItlh muHwI':

>The reason is: Next month, august, I will be in Belgium, at my
>grandparents'. There is no Computer, no Internet, no email possibility -
>just me and TKD. Since I've got nothing else to do (beside of my holiday
>job) I wanted to learn at least like ten or twenty or whatever Klingon
>words a day, but I was wondering how I should do that. I cannot speak in
>Klingon to anyone over there, and I cannot write to the list. No one can
>control my grammar, so I wanted to put more importance on vocab.

1) Decide which words you want to learn. Sit down and list maybe a thousand.

2) Buy some index cards, or slips of strong paper. Write each Klingon word
on one side, and its correct translation on the other.

3) Every day, shuffle the thousand cards. Turn half the deck over. Flip
through, guessing the Klingon after seeing the translation. The other half,
guess the translation after seeing the Klingon. Do this every day.

4) If you look at it and laugh because it's so easy, put it into pile A. If
you get it but arte surprised you did or if you didn't know it, pile B.

5) Next day, go to pile B. (Do pile A every so often, but not daily.) If you
get a card right, make a little pencil mark in a corner. When the corners
are all marked, you know the word and it goes to pile A. If you get it
wrong, erase the pencil marks, and keep in B. If you get it right, but not 4
times, keep it in B.

muHwI', you do this, your vocabulary will be impressive. Wish I could be
doing that - lucky you with a month.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level