tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 06 14:24:14 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, dragonwulf wrote:
>  This seems reasonable, since we don't acknowledge the zero in our
> own base ten system.  The zero is a place holder, it marks the center
> of the number line and is otherwise useful, but if most people really
> thought of it as a number wouldnt our counting system be called base
> eleven?

No, because the ratio of 100/10, or 10/1, etc., would still be ten, not
eleven.

--pH <[email protected]> http://library.wustl.edu/~manynote
   /\        "Churchill? Can he run a hundred balls?"
  -\-\-- o
             NOTE: dehyphenate node to remove spamblock.          <*>

Back to archive top level