tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 06 14:11:07 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

Why would ternary HAVE to be based on 0,1, & 2.  If you don't acknowledge the 0

> (sorry pagh), then you have 1, 2, 3, 11=4, 12=5, 13=6, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32,
> 33=12, etc.
>
> - Tuv'el pach puqloD

 This seems reasonable, since we don't acknowledge the zero in our
own base ten system.  The zero is a place holder, it marks the center
of the number line and is otherwise useful, but if most people really
thought of it as a number wouldnt our counting system be called base
eleven?

lung

Back to archive top level