tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 05 10:47:17 1998

Re: KLBC

---David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>
> >---Paul Gibbons <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> QongDaqwIj(Daq?) jIQottaH ej jIbuStaH
> >> I am lying in my bed, thinking
> >
> >Your sentence can mean "I'm lying in my bed and I'm thinking."  I'd
> >translate, "I'm lying in my bed, thinking," as "QongDaqwIjDaq
> >jIQottaH, jIQubtaHvIS."
>
> While what Qov says is grammatically correct, what you said means
exactly
> the same thing.  In fact, I prefer the structure of your original
sentence.
> I don't see any reason to make the simultaneity of these actions so
explicit
> with {-vIS} like this.  {QongDaqwIjDaq jIQottaH 'ej jIQubtaH} "I'm
lying in
> my bed and I'm thinking."  I like this better than {QongDaqwIjDaq
jIQottaH
> jIQubtaHvIS} "I'm lying in my bed while I'm thinking."

I like it better, too.  "lying in my bed, thinking" is slightly marked
in English for me, so in assessing a translation I felt obliged to
offer a Klingon solution with the closest possible structure to the
English.  maSwov wasn't using V9s freely and I wanted ghaH to know
that tool.

{QongDaqwIjDaq jIQottaHvIS jIQub} might have been a better suggestion.