tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 03 13:44:28 1998

Re: -Curses

Am/Um 22:33 01.07.98 -0700 ghItlh Qermaq:

>ghItlh SuStel:
>>What if {toDSaH} is NOT a noun?
>
><toDSaH> is an epithet. (TKD p. 178.) An epithet is a word or phrase which
>one applies to a person or thing to characterize or describe a quality of
>that individual, usually disparagingly. IOW, epithets are names we assign to
>people or things to describe or assign a quality. Names are nouns.
No.
       In TKD, curses AND names are both in the section 5 chuvmey, curses
are in 5.5 Exclamations. But so far, there are only curses that are
definite exclamations. They cannot be used in another way: {Qu'vatlhpu'
vIlegh} "I see dammits" doesn't make sense at all.
Later, in the addendum, Marc Okrand doesn't say anything on the grammar of
these words. He only says we don't know the meaning of the words and how to
use them, i.e. they defie translation. But now, there are words that can be
used, at least in english "I see many idiots" {*toDSaHpu'* law' vIlegh} as
nouns. Note that in the dictionary section, those words are not present, so
there's no way to tell if noun.

>Question is for me, are there special rules we don't know governing cursing?
>I agree with Qov's loDnal that it would be unusual for such an important
>part of their culture to be as easy and free as we see it. Hell, anyone
>could be a good curser in a few week's time as things are now.
What have we seen so far??? janluq pIqarD HoD said only one word to a
Klingon, and he replied "You curse well...". We know nothing about Klingon
cursing...

muHwI'

Back to archive top level