tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 01 23:29:10 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

ja' Paul Hahn <[email protected]>:
>However, I'm a bit confused by one thing: MO calls the tlhIngan scale
>nonatonic (i.e. nine tones to the octave), but what he then actually
>describes is an _octa_tonic scale, since the ninth note duplicates the
>first.  Has anybody ever asked him to clarify this?

Yes.  He says that it's nine tones per *nonave*. :-)  It might be possible
that his research into ancient Klingon music is faulty, and {Hut} actually
*is* one of the notes of the scale, but that's unwarranted speculation on
my part.

>Or should I just go
>by the description and chalk up the incorrect use of the term
>"nonatonic" to MO's unfamiliarity with standard musical usage?

"Standard musical usage" obviously does not apply to a Klingon musical scale.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level