tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 31 17:37:13 1998

Re: KLBC: Film summary

At 00:48 98-01-30 -0800, tlhIbwI' wrote:
}Well, I saw Qov suggest to someone that a film summary would be quite a
}good idea.  Don't think I've seen the film she wanted doing but I'll try
}my hand at a different one.

majQa'.

}"cha' HuDmey nIb: mutlha' qul" 'oH *film* pong'e'

I read this and tried to construct an English meaning, suspecting perhaps
"followed by fire."  I got "Twin Peaks" right away.

}be'Hom lut ja' *film*

I accept the thing reported as the object of {ja'} but this is
controversial.  Use {Del} or {much} instead of {ja'} to skirt the controversy.

}*film*Daq Hegh be'Hom <<I can hear Qov cringing>>
}The girl dies in the film (yes, locatives with non-physicals but I don't
}                                know how to express it otherwise)

At least you've saved me typing the explanation of WHY you shouldn't do this.
How about {qaStaHvIS *film*} - although some might argue it sounds like she
dies in the theatre. Or {be'Hom Hegh much}.  There are lots of ays to do it
without implying that she dies in the silver-coated cellulose.

}ghaH HoH vavDaj
}SeHbe''egh vavDaj
}Her father is not in control of himself (relative clause, possibly?)

Nothing wrong with these sentences.  You could say:

ghaH HoH SeH'eghbe'bogh vavDaj
"Her father, who cannot control himself, kills her," but I think it sounds
better in both languages as two sentences.  I should mention that some
Klingonists don't accept {-bogh} for descriptive relative clauses -- what
that is.  If she had two fathers and it as the one who couldn't control
himself then it would be restrictive and those people would accept it.

}vavDaj SeH Dol
}*BOB* 'oH Dol pong'e'

*film*vam vISovbe'chu'. Hujqu'!  qar pablIj.

}ghaH HoH vavDaj 'e' chaw' be'Hom
}Hegh neH
}reH be'Hom vIghongpu' *BOB*
}BOB has always (sexually) abused her (perfective necessary? and I wanted
}                        to say for all of her life but couldn't)

Here's a strange error.  You've used the first person prefix, implying that
YOU abused her.

{qaStaHvIS be'Hom yIn naQ be'Hom ghong BOB}

Does that have grammar I need to explain, or you just didn't think of it?

}DaH Heghpu' be'Hom, vIghongbe' *BOB*
}Now she has died, BOB cannot abuse her

Same problem with {vI-}, and a couple of situations you haven't recognized.

This is a cause-effect sentence, with an implied "because" and you've left
out the idea of "cannot."  Here's how to fit it all in.

DaH Heghpu'mo' be'Hom ghonglaHbe' BOB.
or
Heghpu'mo' be'Hom DaH ghonglaHbe' BOB.

The things to note are the {-mo'} on the verb of the action that is the
reason for the other action, and the {-laH} on the verb that is the action
BOB cannot perform. The two positions of {DaH} have slightly differnt shades
of meaning.  Not that differnt here, sometimes more important.

}HeghDI', tlheghDaq Doq jaH
}When she dies, she goes to a red room

This was the only sentence I had to check your notes for.  (The others I
just checked afterwards to answer your questions).  Look up {tlhegh} again.
Assuming you mean that she went to a {pa' Doq}, now look the end of TKD 4.4.
Here the noun suffix actually goes on the adjective, not the noun.
{pa' DoqDaq jaH}
"She goes to a red room."

}tlheghDaq Doq, HeghDaj HaDwI' qIH
}In the red room, she meets (for the first time) the one who will study
}        her death

Same correction on {tlheghDaq Doq}

Hmm. "She meets her death's scholar." It works.  Do you like it?  You could
use a relative clause here.  {HeghDaj HaDbogh nuv'e' qIH} "She meets the
person who will study her death."

}loD 'oH HeghDaj HaDwI'
}*Dale* 'oH loD pong'e'
}*angel* lulegh 'ej SaQ *Laura* (be'Hom)

majQa'.  Qu' vIchupbogh Data'chu'ta'.  jabbI'ID Daj Dalabta' 'ej bIghojlaw'

}Now I'll try putting that into English.  I've repeated myself a bit in
}parts because following my last missive using relative clauses I'm not
}too sure I want to have my work ripped to tiny pieces again.  I'd
}appreciate a little primer on how to do them on one or two bits because
}the TKD is a little awkward at describing them.

Sure.  A relative clause is a clause whose subject or object is the subject
or object of another clause.  See a posting called "Re: KLBC Poetry (the
child is happy)" sent at the same time as this one for some more examples of
these.

Start with two sentences that form a chain.

Qong targh - "The targ sleeps."
targh Suj yaS - "The officer disturbs the targ."

Add {-bogh} to the verb of the secondary sentence, leaving the main sentence
alone.

{Qongbogh targh} - "the targ that sleeps" or "the sleeping targ"

Put the relative clause in the place in the sentence where the noun used to go.

{Qongbogh targh Suj yaS} - "The officer disturbs the sleeping targ."

More complicated:

{regh volchaHDaj} "His shoulder was bleeding."
{volchaHDaj qIp HIvje'} "The mug hit his shoulder."
{HIvje' chagh verengan} "The Ferengi dropped the mug"

reghbogh volchaHDaj qIp HIvje' chaghbogh verengan
This could mean either:
"The mug the Ferengi dropped hit his bleeding shoulder."
or
"The Ferengi who dropped the mug hit his bleeding shoulder."

Disambiguate with the topic marker {'e'}:
reghbogh volchaHDaj qIp HIvje''e' chaghbogh verengan

Now it is only the mug that could do the hitting.

(Note: it is possible that {chagh} means to drop as in "I dropped to the
floor" and that "drop a mug" should be {HIvje' chaghmoH}.  Unknown, but the
presense or absence of {-moH} does not affect this relative clause.)

Here's a test:  What possible meanings could this sentence have, and where
do you put {'e'} to make it mean only "The man whom the alien respects
tickles the targ that the bug bites."

{targh chopbogh ghew qotlh loD vuvbogh nov}

}Well, that's the film in a very bad nut shell (me basically picking out
}easy-ish points to express).  Like I say, if I'd been writing that in
}English I would have said something like
}
}"In the red room, she meets (for the first time) the person who will
}study her death who is man whose name is Dale."

And if you wrote that in English and submitted it me as an editor I'd write
"Run-on sentence" on it in red, and hand it back. :)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level