tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 16:54:43 1998

Re: WORDS (ridges etc)

qe'San wrote:

> I should have started this with KLBC but I was more interested in a
> quick reply.

'oy'! vIbajbejpu' 'e' vItemlaHbe'.

> Hi is there a word for ridge (n) or be ridged (v) as in :
> "A Klingon is proud of his ridges"
> "A Klingon forehead is ridged"

Not to our knowledge.

> Or do we have to use such inappropriate non-complete constructions
> as NOT SMOOTH (Yes I realise the first could just be, "A Klingon is
> proud of his forehead" but I only put it in as an example).

You've answered your question.

> There is a chance of course that he has deliberately left that word
> out on the basis that to a Klingon a forehead is naturally ridged
> and only needs to be described if not ridged. Now, if that is the
> case does that mean that the word for forehead (from whatever
> region) becomes a descriptive word for anything else with a similar
> look/feel.

Good theory.  You might even be able to describe the shape of the
forehead by naming regions, the way we refer to a roman nose.

> HuDvetlhDaq Quch Dalegh - (imp:you) look at the <ridges> on that
> mountain.

{yIlegh} for imperative.  Excellent descriptive idea.  vIlajbej.

> I wouldn't of thought it could be used in this way but who knows.

I think it works very well.  It might be poetic but it's definitely
understandable.

> I realise that even without that possibility I could say, "look at
> that mountain. It looks like a forehead."

bIlugh.

> Now that I've gone through all that I'm sure some will come back
> with an actual word for ridge/s and it'll probably have be in TKD
> all along but then that's life.

I've seen HuDHomDu' used to describe forehead ridges.  Consider also
{ghegh}, as you probably have.

> Before I sign off does anyone know of a word for 'mirror' as in the
> object, 'mirror' as in mirror image, 'reflect' as in what a mirror
> does to light and no it's not deflect. Although, if it was
> specified that it was a deflection of light an equal angle (or
> something like that) then deflect might work in that instance.
> Having said that I know there is a word for photon but is there a
> word for 'light'.

Hey we don't even have words for "glass" and "be transparent."
"Window" is a new acquisition.  (Klingonists will ever be
newcomers to me if they don't remember life before {raS} and
{Qorwagh}.)  Maltz it seems is not much one for optics.

When I wander around the house talking to myself, my mirror is
sometimes {mucha'bogh jan}.  Or I just say {jI'IH 'e'
vI'olmeH naDev jIlegh'egh}.  I suppose I could also say
{mucha'bogh Qorwagh}.  {wovbogh baS Hab} might have been an early
Klingon mirror.

The general concept of light as opposed to darkness doesn't have a
Klingon word I know attached to it.  {wovmoHwI'} can describe a
light, and there is also {tIH}.

You sound like you're working to say a particular thing.  What is it?

Back to archive top level