tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 14:17:11 1998

Re: WORDS (ridges etc)

I should have started this with KLBC but I was more interested in a
quick reply.

Hi is there a word for ridge (n) or be ridged (v) as in :

"A Klingon is proud of his ridges"

"A Klingon forehead is ridged"

Or do we have to use such inappropriate non-complete constructions as
NOT SMOOTH (Yes I realise the first could just be, "A Klingon is proud
of his forehead" but I only put it in as an example).

I've been wondering this for some time now and had hoped that MO would
have included it in KGT but I couldn't find it.

There is  a chance of course that he has deliberately left that word
out on the basis that to a Klingon a forehead is naturally ridged and
only needs to be described if not ridged.  Now, if that is the case
does that mean that the word for forehead (from whatever region)
becomes a descriptive word for anything else with a similar look/feel.

 HuDvetlhDaq  Quch Dalegh - (imp:you) look at the <ridges> on that
mountain.

I wouldn't of thought it could be used in this way  but who knows.

I realise that even without that possibility I could say, "look at
that mountain. It looks like a forehead."

Now that I've gone through all that I'm sure some will come back with
an actual word for ridge/s and it'll probably have be in TKD all along
but then that's life.

Before I sign off does anyone know of a word for 'mirror' as in the
object, 'mirror' as in mirror image, 'reflect' as in what a mirror
does to light and no it's not deflect.  Although, if it was specified
that it was a deflection of light an equal angle (or something like
that) then deflect might work in that instance.  Having said that I
know there is a word for photon but is there a word for 'light'.

qe'San