tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 29 10:19:55 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

~mark wrote:
<<a lot of stuff snipped>>
> Actually, if I wanted to say "the captain was eating in the restaurant
> which the squadron destroyed," I think at this point what I'd like to see
> is this:
>
>  /-------------------\
> ?qach Qaw'bogh nawloghDaq SoplI' HoD
>                       \------------/
>
> Admittedly ambiguous between that meaning and "The captain was eating in
> the squadron which destroyed the building," but that's normal head-noun
> ambiguity of relative clauses, which we know exists in Klingon (cf. {Hov
> ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj}).

..and which could be resolved (partly) by using {-'e'} to give

?qach'e' Qaw'bogh nawloghDaq SoplI' HoD

> This is definitely speculative and controversial, and I wouldn't use it
> without Okrand's say-so, but frankly it makes sense to me, despite its
> seeming illogic.  It relies rather heavily on the view of -Daq as a
> postposition, a view which is unproven, though supported by the grammar we
> know so far.

more speculation: if the above was true, there might be a tendency
to regard the subject that carries a type 5 suffix/postposition as
the head noun if the object is unmarked (bc. you cannot have {-'e'}
on the subject)

> I'm going to regret mailing this, since I think it would make a great
> HolQeD article.  Whoever roundtables this, can we get this letter in?

well, I am at least going to save this mail. I like the idea...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level