tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 17:35:33 1998

HIvqa' Paramount Hol (or ST: Encyclopedia)

Stardate 98072.3

Greetings.

I was looking through the multimedia and information of the new CD-ROM
release, "The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future,"
by Michael and Denise Okuda, produced and developed by Simon & Schuster
Interactive and Imergy, when I noticed a disturbing example of Paramount
Hol in action.

In the Encyclopedia Mode, it has the following text entry under the
letter 'C'.  I have retained the case-sensitivity and formating of the
entry (minus bold and italic) for the sake of accurate reporting.

==BEGIN CITATION==

CHEGH-chew jaj-VAM jaj-KAK
Klingon expression meaning "It is a good day to die." ("The Way of the
Warrior" [DS9])

==END CITATION==

This entry was accompanied by a link to the Video Mode entry of Michael
Dorn's famous scene from First Contact in which he says "Perhaps today
is a good day to die."  The phrase depicted in the video clip is an
entirely different sentence from the one presented in the text entry,
which I find mildly curious.  Why choose this clip when the sentence in
question was spoken exactly on Deep Space Nine (Bloodoath)? But I'll not
complain about another chance to see Michael Dorn in action.

For beginners and/or those unfamiliar with the proper rendition of this
sentence in tlhIngan Hol, the two incarnations of this sentiment are
listed below.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam.
It is a good day to die.

Heghlu'meH QaQ DaHjaj.
Today is a good day to die.

(Here's one I just thought I'd throw in)

Heghlu'meH QaQ wa'leS.
Tomorrow will be a good day to die.

Klingon Ambassador,
Dawut
ratlh Sochvatlh loS jajmey

P.S.
In the above example, when I cited the entry from the Encyclopedia I
dropped the bold and italic attributes in the interest of optimizing the
message unformatted-text programs.  I understand that not all email
programs are capable of including HTML formatting, so I don't use that
on the list; but what about text formatting like underline, bold and
italic?  I'm not talking about colors or font colors, just the basics.
Should I avoid using bold and italics when mailing to this list?  I use
both Microsoft Exchange and the Hotmail web-based email service to read
the my email, and both are capable of displaying standard text
formatting.  What about the rest of you?