tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 25 20:24:50 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

At 14:27 98-01-25 -0800, charghwI' wrote:

}Well, OEED tends to mark that which is idiomatic to America and
}England and "storm (v}" has no such marking. Apparently, it is
}used on both sides of the ocean. Whether Canadians use it or not
}is perhaps another matter. Dictionaries don't tend to list
}definitions like: storm (v) 4. /intr./ (of wind, rain, etc.)
}rage; be violent. [EXCEPT IN CANADA, WHERE THEY ONLY USE "STORM"
}AS A NOUN WHEN REFERENCING WEATHER ACTIVITY.]

charghwI', this difference is why I said "in my dictionary and in my
idiolect" each time I tried to explain.  In fact today my husband said "It
is storming outside."  My response to your posting was because I believed
that you did not understand me, not because I wished to persuade you away
from your opinion.  I still believe that {jev} refers to military actions.
I think you understand why I believe this, and I am sure you do not share my
belief.  It is quite possible I am, as you aver, wrong.  I'm not sure why
you are challenging my belief with such ferocity.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level