tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:56:58 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry

>ja' SuStel:
>>{-pu'} (and {-ta'}) DOES mean that the action is complete, not just that it
>>occurred before the time context.
>
>Must an action being complete imply that the state described by that action
>is no longer true?  If the rock's being present is complete, I don't see it
>as indicating that the rock is now absent.
>
>jupwI' nentay lopta' ghaH.  nenta', qar'a'?  'ach nentaH je 'e' vIyaj.
>My friend's Rite of Ascension was last year.  He's completed being an
>adult.  That doesn't mean he isn't one anymore.
>
>wa'Hu' DeHbe' naH.  DaHjaj DeHpu' naH.  wa'leS DeHqu' naH.
>The fruit ripened overnight.  It won't stop being ripe/overripe tomorrow.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

in my ear it does sound like "he has been an adult (and no longer is)".
If you add the suffix -choH it would work.
nenchoHta' - he's completed becoming an adult.  (he is still an adult).

ghungta' - he had been hungry.  but no longer is.
ghungchoHta' - he had become hungry.  he might still be hungry, or maybe he
has eaten since then and is no longer hungry.

DloraH
www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
(last updated: 22 Jan 98)

Back to archive top level