tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:23:56 1998

Re: KLBC: mu'tlheghmey

At 10:56 98-01-22 -0800, ~mark wrote:
}>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 01:10:26 -0800 (PST)
}>From: Qov <[email protected]>
}>
}>}<DujmeylIj mach DaQaw'>
}>}
}>}I'll allow Qov to do the teaching here, but in short, the Klingon sentence
}>}is neither in past nor in present tense. (It's not future either.)
}>
}>Right.  {DujmeylIj mach DaQaw'} is perfectly translated as "you destroyed
}>your little ships" or "you will destroy your little ships" or "you destroy
}>your little ships"  Klingon simply doesn't have a thing you add to the verb
}>to make it past or future tense, any more than English has a thing you add
}>to the beginning of a verb to indicate the object.  If the time of an action
}>is important, you just say the time.  {wa'Hu' DaQaw'}  - "you destroyed them
}>yesterday"
}
}Indeed.  Actually, for the line in the movie I personally would have used
}"DaQaw'pu'" (or Daghorpu'), since the intent really is "you have broken
}them", in the perfective.  -pu' and not -ta', since if anything there's a
}half-implication that it *wasn't* what he wanted to do.  {rIntaH} might be
}good too, with the implication of "look what you did and can't undo."
}
}I'm not sure that DujHom isn't OK either, when it comes down to it: little
}shiplets.  Sure, in many contexts that would mean shuttlecrafts, but in the
}context at hand I think it works.

Now that I know that it was about model ships, I agree that DujHom is a good
choice.

Beginners: if there is context to your sentence that isn't immediately
obvious (I agree that a line from a Star Trek movie should have been pretty
obvious, but I didn't get it) point it out so that I can understand your
sentences better.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level