tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 23 10:17:07 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

According to Qov:

> At 11:11 98-01-22 -0800, you wrote:
> }According to Qov:
> }..
> }> {jev} I believe refers to storm, as in to storm an enemy position, not a
> }> nature phenomenon.
> }
> }I'm curious where you picked that up. I don't see any reference
> }to this in any of my word lists.
>
> Simply because it is a verb.  In my idiolect, and in my dictionary "to
> storm" is to be violent or angry, to attack in that manner. The noun "storm"
> represents a natural phenomenon, but I would never say "it stormed" or "the
> weather storms."  Always "there was a storm"or "we're experiencing a storm."
> Marc Okrand has defined words that are nouns in English and verbs in Klingon
> in a way that is consistent with the way English speakers use them, thus
> "experience a tremor" not "tremor (v)."  I have always considered it wrongly
> used to describe weather.

I see a difference in "experience a tremor" and "tremor (v)".
If I am standing on shaking ground, the ground tremors. I
experience a tremor. I don't think that definition has anything
to do with whether English favors the noun or verb. To be fair,
you should list the entire definition:

Qom - experience an earthquake or tremor (v)

Meanwhile, {jang} is not defined as "give an answer, give a
reply", which is at least as common as "answer, reply (v)".

Maybe you have a point and a better example might illuminate
it, but I don't think you've accomplished that mission yet. The
verb "storm" is just "storm", be it weather or military until
we get some better guidance, especially since "rain" and "snow"
are verbs in Klingon and not nouns (as they are commonly used
in English).

"Don't go out in the _____ without your boots."

All three weather nouns fit here well in English. In Klingon:

___-lu'taHvIS DaSmeylIj DatuqnIS!

Those who don't like {-lu'} here, just ignore it.

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'

Back to archive top level