tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 23 01:17:40 1998

Re: What is your name

At 11:56 98-01-22 -0800, you wrote:
}    I would like to comment this line.
}
}In English you say: What is your name?
}In Spanish or Portuguese you say: "How do you call yourself"?
}In Klingon: nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'
}
}It's the idiomatic expressions
}
}I saw in somewhere a expression HIchlIj yI'ngu'  for "choose your weapons"
or something like  that (I'm not sure). I was wondering
}if it could it apply to What is your name?

}ponglIj yI'ngu' - Identify your name

Identify your name?  This doesn't sound quite right.  Identify means
recognize, or select.  Maybe {ponglIj yIjatlh}

}yI'ngu'egh - Identify yourself (to a single person)

In the first place it's {yIngu''egh}, no prefix ends in a stop, but the
suffix begins in one.  {yIngu''egh} does mean "identify yourself."  I don't
know if the answer would be your name your rank or your profession.

}pe'ngu'chuq - Identify yourselves (to a group of persons)

Stop this putting a stop after prefixes, right NOW, edy.

My judgement here is badly clouded by the fact that I origianally read this
as {penga''egh}.
If it works for you -- it works.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian