tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 22:11:08 1998

Re: "Titanic" chov SuSvaj

In a message dated 98-01-22 15:20:12 EST, charghwI' argues:

<< No. I hit (qIp) the wall with my hand. My hand hit (ngeQ) the
 wall. My hand cannot hit (qIp) the wall. See? {ngeQ} means the
 thing which makes the impact hits the thing that is hit. {qIp}
 means the conscious entity hits the thing which is hit by
 controlling the thing which makes the impact. I fire a pistol
 and hit (qIp) the target. The bullet hits (ngeQ) the target. >>

--------peHruS argues--------
jIQoch    You are right, {qIp} means I hit the wall with my hand.  {qIp} means
to hit with an implement or the fist (hand).  However, you missed entirely on
{ngeQ}.  You seem to have it confused with {mup}.  {mup} means the thing
strikes, makes impact with the wall.  The bullet {mup} the target.  {ngeQ} is
entirely different.  It means "brush against, bump into".  The officer bumps
into the yeoman = ne' ngeQ yaS.  Still another word is {paw'}, which means
"collide with".  paw'chuq cha' Dujmey.

maghojthaH     peHruS

Back to archive top level