tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 11:12:52 1998

Re: "Titanic" chov SuSvaj

According to SuSvaj:

> qaSDI' 12:06 AM 1/21/98 -0800, ghel peHruS:
>
> >In a message dated 98-01-16 22:19:04 EST, SuSvaj writes:
> >
> ><< Do'Ha'qu' je 'oH Titanic'e'.  bIQ'a'Daq lengtaHvIS Dujvam, chuch'ay''a'
> qIp
> > Duj, 'ej bIQ'a' ravDaq pum.   >>
>
> >'ach DaH jIghelnIS {Do'Ha'qu' je 'oH Titanic'e'} bIjatlhmo', QaghHey
> >Daghajlaw'.  {Do'Ha'qu' 'oH je Titanic'e'} jIchup.  (wot {'oH} tlha'nIS mu'
>
> Yeah, I wasn't certain about the useage at the time.  The whole sentence was:
>
> 	bIQ'a' Duj tInqu', Do'Ha'qu' je 'oH "Titanic"'e'.
>
> In retrospect, I should have simply left *je* out and writen"
>
> 	bIQ'a' Duj tInqu', Do'Ha'qu' 'oH "Titanic"'e'.

"A big ocean ship, it is very unfortunate it is the Titanic."

Before the comma, there is no verb. After the comma, there are
two main verbs. I can't make sense of this. Are you trying to
say, "The Titanic is a big, very unfortunate ocean ship."? If
so, I'd say:

bIQ'a' Duj 'oH *Titanic*'e'. tInqu' 'ej Do'Ha'qu'.

> That certainly works, but I don't see why either the ship, or the iceberg
> could not be thought of as a "hitting implement."  Unless the verb *qIp*
> implies an intent to hit, rather than hitting by accident.  vuDmey???

No. I hit (qIp) the wall with my hand. My hand hit (ngeQ) the
wall. My hand cannot hit (qIp) the wall. See? {ngeQ} means the
thing which makes the impact hits the thing that is hit. {qIp}
means the conscious entity hits the thing which is hit by
controlling the thing which makes the impact. I fire a pistol
and hit (qIp) the target. The bullet hits (ngeQ) the target.

English confuses the matter by having two completely different
meanings for the verb "hit". Klingon is clearer in this
instance.

> SuSvaj

charghwI'

Back to archive top level