tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 16:12:57 1998

KLBC (down & stay)

[email protected] asks:

> K'Bella 'oHpongwIj'e'. I would like to know the Klingon words for
> "down" and "stay."

Welcome to the list, K'Bella.  I'm Qov, the somewhat negligent
Beginners' Grammarian, supposed to be helping beginners learn the
language.  Notice that the title is Grammarian: that's because all
the base words we have are pretty readily available and constructing
other words is a matter of grammar and context.

I'm guessing from the words you ask, that want to talk to a dog
in Klingon.  When speaking to pets, a simplified version of the
language is used, leaving out the prefixes.  I don't train dogs in
English or Klingon, but as far as I understand, "stay" is an order
for the dog to remain where it is, and "down" orders the dog to lie
down.

"Stay!" is pretty clearly {ratlh}.
"Down!" could be {Qot} (meaning lie down).

If "down" means "get down!" as in if the dog were jumping up on
something, or licking someone's face, or just generally doing
anything I didn't want, I'd say {Qo'} (No!), or maybe Klingon dog
trainers use {mev} (stop) to keep the dog from being confused with
{Qot}.

If the dog were trained to go through obstacle courses or rescue
people trapped in mines and I was ordering it to "go down," the
command would be {ghIr}.

While I'm at it, "sit!" is {ba'}, and "bite that arm off!" is
{DeSvetlh chop chev}.  Listen to the tape Power Klingon for
educational and amusing instructions in training the Klingon pet. We
don't know if Klingon pets are trained to heel, but if you wanted
yours to, you could use {tlhej} (accompany). The word {tlha'}
(follow) probably sounds too much like {ba'}.

Note that any of these commands given in correct grammar to a person
rather than a pet would need a prefix.  {peratlh} "[You people]
stay."  {yIba'} "[You person] sit."

> K'Bella 'oHpongwIj'e'.

By the way, you need a space after the word {'oH}:
{K'Bella 'oH pongwIj'e'.}  Well done, otherwise, I can see you
have been paying attention, or read the FAQ.

- Qov

Robyn Stewart                     [email protected]
NLK Technical Library  ph. (604) 689-0344 fax (604) 443-1000
NLK Consultants Inc. 855 Homer Street, Vancouver BC  V6B 5S2

Back to archive top level