tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 10 10:02:05 1998

KLBC: Length of time

Okay, Qov, before I start - please don't hit me in the first couple of
sentences cos there is a reason for it.

I was thinking a while back about how to translate the phrase "Live long
and prosper" into tlhIngan Hol because someone had mentioned it on the
list (cue Qov with a jumbo sized pain stick because I mentioned the word
translation).  I was thinking about all the different ways I could think
of of phrasing it and the best I could think of for "Live long" was "May
you live for a long time".  If I wanted to, I could translate "May you
live" easily - verb with the right prefix and the "May" suffix.  I then
thought about the last bit - for a long time.

How on earth do I translate that?  I have no idea.

"They fought for many years/months/days"  I could start to translate
with *Suv* (they fought) but what next?  Help!

--
tlhIbwI'

Back to archive top level