tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 13:52:36 1998

Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

In a message dated 98-01-06 16:18:11 EST, SuStel answers ghunchu'wI':

<<
 jInep
 I lie.

 SoHvaD jInep
 I lie to you.  You are the person who receives the result of the action.

 Now, I'm not entirely certain if {qanob} is acceptable without an explicit
 object as "I give it to you," but if we assume that {nep} does not normally
 take an object, then {qanep} means exactly "I lie to you."

 If {nep} DOES take an object, it would have to be something like
 {vItHa'ghach}, which seems really silly to me.

I have one example of MO's using {nep}.  It is {nepwI' Daba'} and is
translated as "He is obviously lying."  Perhaps there are concepts about
cultural idioms here.

Back to archive top level