tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 09:13:37 1998

Re: {-vetlh} with time (was Re: KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner))

According to Alan Anderson:

> ja' charghwI':
> >...We do know that
> >you can use {-vam} to mean "current", as in {DISvam} = "this
> >year" because Okrand has specifically confirmed it in a message
> >on MSN, (during one of the VERY rare appearances he has made
> >there), but he never addressed {-vetlh}.
>
> TKW p.177:
>   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhingan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj.
>   The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade.
>
> According to this example, {-vetlh} works on time words too.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Thanks for the example. I can't say its existance makes me
happy, but it does make clear that which was not. It does look
better here than it did in the example I was questioning, since
it is essentially pointing to a time reference just given, and
{jajvetlh} somehow bothers me less than {poHvetlh}, but likely
it shouldn't.

I drop my protestation in reference to this example.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level