tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 20:03:57 1998

Re: pongmey

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:44:00 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> I'm still confused, which way am I supposed to spell my name to have it
> sound right?  In english it's spelled Kasha (slightly odd spelling of it,
> even in english.  I think my parents tooh that hooked on phonics stuff a
> little too far.  It's supposed to be spelled Kasia)
> Q'aSHa'
> Still just as stupid, but thanks for the help

If you want a near-same pronunciation in Klingon, it would
likely be: qaSya

The {S} already sounds almost like "sh" and the person I know
who spells her name Kasha pronounces it Kash-ya with both "a"
sounds like the "a" in "father", which is the same as the
Klingon {a}. You don't want any glottal stops unless you want to
change the sound slightly to be more Klingon, like {qaSya'}.
Remember that doesn't just indicate emphasis. It is a consonant.
It is the sound between the two vowels in the oops-like word
"uh-oh". In fact, in Klingon, the sound "uh-oh" would be spelled
{'a'o}. (The {a} is closer to "uh" than {u} is, which sounds
like "oo" in "fool".)

> At 02:19 PM 02/01/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >At 13:11 98-01-02 -0800, Q'aSHa' wrote:
> >
> >}I have a really, really stupid question.  When do you use "Q" instead of
> >}"q", assuming you're not referring to the omnipotent guy?
> >
> >It is a most excellent question, basic, yes, but important, not stupid.
> >
> >The Klingon phonetic alphabet is, in as Okrand lists it:
> >
> >a b ch D e gh H I j l m n ng o p q Q r S t tlh u v w y '
> >
> >Each of these represents a separate sound of the language. Thus {q} and {Q}
> >are as different as "f" and "v" in English.  The word {qat} means "wrap" and
> >the word {Qat} means "be popular." The word "fat" means overweight and the
> >word "vat" represents a tub.
> >
> >So the answer to your question is simply: use {q} when the word is spelled
> >with a {q} and {Q} when the word is spelled with a {Q}.
> >
> >Thank you for asking.  There are probably five people out there glad you
> >asked, because they didn't have the guts.
> >
> >Qov     [email protected]
> >Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'

Back to archive top level