tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 18:02:52 1998

Re: LEARNING KLINGON

"Hardy Boehm" <[email protected]> writes:
>Hello There!

Welcome to the list.  Ha'!  maHaD!

>What means would you suggest for me to become firm in using Klingon?

Read and translate every bit of good Klingon text you can find.  Try to
avoid the temptation to translate anything *into* Klingon until you can
express your own thoughts well.

>I bought the Klingon Dictionary but it's not quite as good for learning as I thought
>it would be.

I hope you've got a copy of the English edition of The Klingon Dictionary.
We've identified a number of quite large mistakes in the German version. :-(

>One Problem is, that I live in Germany and have some difficultys
>obtaining some of the Books mentioned elsewhere!

If you've got a credit card, the KLI can ship materials pretty much anywhere
on the planet.  Visit /kli/Merchant.phtml to see what there
is for you to order.

>Please advise me as to good Books, Webpages, ...

There aren't really any good web pages.  Much of what one must know can be
found only in The Klingon Dictionary.  Beyond that, the audiotapes are very
good for hearing correct pronunciation and learning a few useful phrases,
and the recent book Klingon for the Galactic Traveler is amazingly full of
idioms and specialized vocabulary.  Once you've gotten a good grasp of the
grammar from TKD, you'll need to study KGT in order to understand some of
the things you'll read here on the list.  You won't know that "using a big
scoop" refers to exaggerating, for example.  Well, now you will...but there
are lots of other things you won't know.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level