tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 22:28:37 1998

Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

At 19:52 98-01-02 -0800, 'elren wrote:
}I was bored today so I thought I would try and translate a Black Sabbath
}song. It was tougher than I thought in places, but I gave it a go
}anyway...

yb 667ttytttjn 67

(Qov bangs her forehead on the keyboard a few times)

It is really really really frustrating for me to have to try to correct
translations by someone who is not ready to translate.  When a person writes
down his or her own ideas using an attempt at Klingon grammar, s/he know
exactly what s/he is trying to say, and looks for the Klingon grammar that
matches it.  For some reason, when a person translates directly from a
terrestrial text into a Klingon one, s/he start translating just the words
and not the meaning. When you can freely translate your own meaning into
Klingon without significant grammatical error, then, if you still feel
driven to it, attempt to translate.

I don't think you proofread this: there is a mistyped or misspelled word in
almost every line. I will point out some of the problems I find.  I
recommend that you go through your work and ask what is the subject and
object of each verb, and what is the main clause of each sentence, making
sure you have used the correct word order, vocabulary, prefixes, and
suffixes for the grammar.

}Here goes:
}
}juH jaHtaH, eram Qav paS

Canon shows that {jaH} does not take the destination as its object.
A prefix is required to show the subject of {jaH}.
The words indicating the time at which an action takes place go at the
beginning of the clause, not the end.
This clause indicates an action that was taking place at the same time as
the action of the main clause.  Use the type-9 suffix {-vIS} to indicate this.
The word for night is {ram}.
One noun cannot have two verbs both acting on it as adjectives {SuDbogh
Dargh wov} or {SuD Dargh 'ej wov} not {Dargh SuD wov}.
{Qav} means final, not previous.

}pay' jIghIj

The object of the verb {ghIj} is the thing scared.  The subject does the
scaring.

}luq, QonwaghDaq vIlegh 'ej mumer vIleghDI'

{luq} is an affirmative response to a suggestion or command.
The word for window is {Qorwagh}.
To me {QorwaghDaq} implies something on the window not beyond it.

}mI'chuq verengan waqmey runnav je, DaH Hoch lugh!

The verb {mI'} isn't known to take an object.
Compound nouns should not be formed from verbs.
Person is {nuv}.
Please figure out what "alright now" means and translate the meaning, not
the individual words.

}waqmey lutuQ verenganpu' 'ej choHavnIS

Wrong prefix on {tuQ}.
{Hav} is a typo.

}luq, vIlegh, vIlegh, qanepQo'

See previous comment on {luq}.
I'm not happy with {qanep}  for "I lie to you."  I think if anything the lie
not the audience is the object of the verb.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level