tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 12:13:19 1998

Re: KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner)

At 13:58 98-01-01 -0800, notjISaH wrote:

}This reminds me of something else I was thinking about:
}
}Suppose I wanted to do  ::actions::  in Klingon.  I don't know whether the
}shrugging of shoulders means anything in that culture, but if it does, or if I
}obstinately want to communicate the idea to an Earth-born audience, some of
}the following seem like they might work:

I would just type ::loQ volchaHDu'Daj pep Qov::

}volchaHDu'wIj vIpep.  --  I raise my shoulders. / I shrug.
}(possibly equivalent to the chat-room-type comment   ::shrugs::)

qar

}volchaHDu' vIpep.  -- I raise [the] shoulders. / I shrug.
}(possibly equivalent to the chat-room-type comment   ::shrugs::)
}I added this one without the "my" thinking of the idioms for shrugging in some
}other languages, where no possessive is appropriate.

QechlIj vIyajchu'.  The possessive suffixes do seem to be used with body parts.
{quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh} TKW p. 59

}volchaHDu' peplu'.  --  The shoulders are raised.
}(probably closer to ::shrug:: except that it's a noun in this English usage.)
}I can't figure out whether {peplu'} needs a prefix, actually.  Can someone
}correct the grammar here?

{lupeplu'}.  The prefix on a verb with {-lu'} is always a third person
singular object prefix.  The one you choose depends on the object of the
verb with {-lu'}.  Klingons often omit {lu-} when the meaning is
unambiguous, but such omission is still considered a grammatical error.  See
section 4.2.5 in TKD and p. 168 in KGT if you have it.

}In Spanish, a lot of verbs like this are reflexive....so it's sort of   I-
}shrug-myself the-shoulders.      I-brush-myself the-teeth.    I guess it
}wouldn't make sense to start dropping {-'egh} in there...?

qayajqa'chu'.  I use this example often when pointing out that we assume
things about Klingon without realizing it, based on English.  I would not
consider such usage wrong.  Most English Klingon speakers would think it
very odd.

}---in manic 1st-day spirit,

notjISaH, if you're really absorbed and figured out that much on your own in
one day, next week you can teach me how to speak Klingon.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level