tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 28 13:43:11 1998

Re: Some Grammar Questions

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Qov wrote:
|At 14:33 98-02-25 -0800, Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
|}
|}        If the objects of two sentences are the same, is it
|}        necessary to repeat the common object, or may the
|}        sentences be combined:
|
|The classic canon is something like: DeSvetlh yIchop yIchev
|"Bite that arm off!"  Literally, closer to "Bite that arm, separate it!"

Actually, it's: 'uSDaj chop! chev! ("Bite his leg off!"), a command in
Clipped Klingon to one's pet. Since Okrand spoke it in the "Power Klingon"
audiotape, we're not certain of the punctuation (i.e. is it one sentence or
two?).

|The object of the sentence is implied with the {tI-} on {tIQorgh}.  You
|don't need to repeat the object.  See section 6.2.1 for a demonstration of
|this with a declarative sentence.

Here's another example from The Klingon Way (p.163):

	Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'.
	Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it.

Note that {Ha'DIbaH} is the object of both a declarative and imperative
verb at some distance.

Voragh

Back to archive top level