tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 28 11:49:15 1998

Re: chay' jIghojmoH?

At 20:56 98-02-13 -0800, Sydney wrote:
}I'm considering organizing a qepHom in my area. The people I'm going to be
}asking to participate at first are people I know have little or no knowledge
}of Klingon. Therefore I'll need to introduce them to the language.

Start with being very up front about what you do and do not know about the
language.  Something like: "No one knows this language perfectly, because
the published information doesn't describe everything there is, and we have
to wait for Marc Okrand to create or clarify things for us.  There are some
people who know this better than I do, and if you're on the internet I'll
show you how to get help from them.  As for me, I'm confident in my
knowledge of the basics, but you'll probably catch me making a few mistakes.
I hope I don't teach you anything wrong.  Please tell me if you notice
anything in the book that contradicts what I say, because it's probably right."

This not only gives you a good disclaimer, but will encourage people to
participate more and give their own suggestions, because you've admited you
need help.  And as anyone who has been BG can tell you, you have to get
people to make mistakes in order to figure out what they need to learn.

Give people information that is immediately useful, catchphrases that
everyone will know by the end of the day and rattle off to one another, then
stretch to vary.  {not X tlhInganpu'!} for different verbs or {X vIneH} for
various nouns, for example.  Be relevant to the context.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level