tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 25 10:22:48 1998

Re: 'ul

According to Steven Boozer:

> : (Hmm, lugh nuq: ['ar 'ul] ['ul 'ar] joq
> : qoj [Hoch] rur'a'
> :
> : DloraH
>
> {'ar} always follows a singular noun; thus, it would be {'ul 'ar}.  Cf. also
> SkyBox S32:
>
>      chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
>      Painstiks... emit a highly-charged shock for the express purpose of
>       inflicting pain.
>
> {'ul law'} - "many 'uls" or "a lot of 'ul"?  This brings up another point
> I've wondered about: is {'ul} a quantifiable mass noun referring to
> electricity or electrical force in general (like {tlham} "gravity" or {HoS}
> "power"), or a countable electric "shock" or "jolt", or both?  AFAIK, the
> only other mention of {'ul} by Okrand is KGT p.65:
>
>      "the painstik, 'oy'naQ, a long staff that emits a powerful (and painful)
>      jolt of electricity ('ul)"

Well, the OTHER mention of it is in the KGT dictionary, where
it is listed as "electricity". I also think Okrand casually
said something to this effect at qep'a' loSDIch, though that is
a foggy memory and I would not count on it. I'm nearly certain
that it means "electricity" the way "HoS" means "power".

> However, see SkyBox S33 for an example of {law'} with an apparent mass noun:
>
>      HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
>      Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device...

Yes, I think {law'} works as "much" as well as it does as
"many", just as {'ar} works as "how much" as well as "how
many". To put it simply, if {law'} and {'ar} DON'T work this
way, then Klingon has no words to express the idea of "much".

> Voragh

>  Steven Boozer    The University of Chicago Library    [email protected]

charghwI'

Back to archive top level